Check out this low-carb pizza casserole! Takes a little time to prep and cook, but it's well worth the wait. Add extra toppings into the last step before you bake for your preferred taste and flavor.
Prep Time: 20-30 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 5 links (19.5 oz.) uncooked turkey Italian sausage
- 4 tsp olive oil (Use 2 tsp two times)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- ground pepper to taste
- 8 mushrooms, washed and cut into thick slices (I used Bella)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese (I used fat free for half of this)
- 15 slices pepperoni, cut in half (I used turkey)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray an 8 inch x 11 inch glass casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into a colander placed in the sink and rinse with cold water. Let tomatoes drain, then spread them out on paper towels to dry.
- While tomatoes dry, heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan, squeeze the sausage out of the casing, and cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned
- While sausage cooks, wash mushrooms, pat dry, and slice into thick slices.
- When the sausage is done make a layer of sausage in the bottom of the casserole dish and top with the drained tomatoes, spreading them out over the top of the sausage. Season with dried oregano, round black pepper.
- Heat the other 2 tsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add the mushrooms and cook, stirring a few times, until all the liquid is released and the mushrooms are starting to brown. Layer the mushrooms over the sausage-tomato mixture.
- Cut pepperoni in half. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the casserole and lay the pepperoni pieces on top of the cheese, spacing them evenly so the whole top is covered with pepperoni.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Serve hot.
Connect with me on social media!
Thanks for reading.
NutriFit is a locally and privately owned nutritional supplement retail company specializing in high-quality products, competitive pricing, nutritional information and excellent customer service.